What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathic medicine is a distinct system of primary health care. Naturopathic physicians focus on leveraging the healing power of nature to help patients restore and maintain optimum health. This practice of medicine is used to diagnose, treat, and prevent illness using a combination of natural therapeutics and each patient’s innate self-healing abilities.
Primary Care Physicians with a Unique Approach
Licensed naturopathic physicians are highly educated at a doctorate level, formally trained in medical sciences, and legally licensed as primary care physicians.
We hold specialized credentials, are strictly regulated, and are required by law to follow a specific scope of practice.
Naturopathic physicians are trained in medical and holistic approaches to therapy with a special focus on:
- Botanical Medicine. Western and Chinese herbs are used in the form of tinctures, capsules, teas, or topical preparations.
- Clinical Nutrition. Assessment of nutrient absorption and utilization, nutrient status, and food-based treatments, supplements or intravenous injections as required.
- Homeopathy. Based on the concept of “like cures like”, these energetic medicines are prescribed for both acute and chronic conditions to stimulate the body’s own ability to heal itself.
- Biotherapeutic Drainage. Homeopathic and herbal preparations are used to stimulate the body’s systems of excretion to gently cleanse and detoxify.
- Lifestyle Counselling. Diet (including meal planning), exercise, sleep, stress management, and family history are assessed for disease risk, as we work towards creating a lifestyle that promotes optimal health.
- Physical Medicine. Musculoskeletal disorders are treated using soft tissue techniques, naturopathic manipulations, injection therapies, and therapeutic exercise.
- Acupuncture. Needles, pressure or migraines (small metal beads) are used along specific points of the body to balance excess or deficient energies and treat a variety health conditions.
- Allergy Treatment. We offer a non-invasive, drug-free allergy elimination technique.
- Injection Therapies. Intravenous (IV) and intramuscular (IM) injections using micro and macronutrients are used to treat deficiencies and support the immune system. Neural therapy is used to reset the nervous system as well as treat chronic and acute musculoskeletal conditions.
- Bio-identical Hormones. Replicas of hormones produced naturally by the human body, bio-identical hormones are a safer alternative to the synthetic hormones that have been used in the past for Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT).
- Nebulized medicines. We use a variety of inhaled medicines to treat respiratory conditions.
- Prescriptive Medicines. In British Columbia, Naturopathic Physicians have prescriptive drug authority. At Restoration Health Clinic, we choose to prescribe pharmaceutical medicines when required.
Book With One of Our Naturopathic Doctors
Find out how Naturopathic Medicine can help you by getting in touch with us here!